Sweet Dakota Stripes Cardigan

More project details and a few little notes can be found on the Ravelry project page, but I figured I could go into a bit more of the specifics here as well with pics 🙂

I resorted to self portraits even though both kids worked hard to try and get a few shots for me.

I resorted to self portraits even though both kids worked hard to try and get a few shots for me.

I planned out this project over a year ago. Got much of it done, then brought it to work on at my parent’s house over Thanksgiving last year. I think thats where I lost the buttons. I ordered them from Etsy and they were perfect. But once I lost them I stopped working on the project ALL HOPE WAS LOST. Picked it up again for a little while. Remembered I had no buttons and quit. Then a couple weeks ago realizing it hadn’t gotten done yet I made the second sleeve which was all that was remaining. But I couldn’t remember how I did the first one (see notes in Rav, I was trying to decide if I would work it top down or hem up) and I never noted which I’d done for the first sleeve. Oops. So, I pulled the first one off and made yet another (so now the two match!) I also ripped out all the seaming and redid all of it.

its really hard having my kids take pictures, my vision of what I want doesn't usually translate in their images

its really hard having my kids take pictures, my vision of what I want doesn’t usually translate in their images

I almost gave up again as I realized I had lost about 15 lbs and much of it on my top half. And the shoulders are a little wonky. So its lose on top in weird ways, but its finally done. Without buttons, of course, except I put a couple temporary ones on for pics so it would lay a bit better.

Oh, nice seaming I think, but shoulder just not shaped right. Also fabric a bit loose from different measurements a year ago.

Oh, nice seaming I think, but shoulder just not shaped right. Also fabric a bit loose from different measurements a year ago.

Here’s the deal. I wanted a pullover, but in designing it I had been reading up on Amy Herzog’s blog about Fit to Flatter (this was PRE-book blog!) So I went with emphasizing my bust with the deep square neckline. I really wanted to do the trendy stripes, but made them a bit bolder to break up body parts (not sure if that was a good thing or not.) I made it as a cardigan BUT knew I wanted a pullover, so it was specifically done to have full closure in the front and the contrasting vertical button band to break up my bulky middle section (i.e. big belly.) I made the sleeves something like 3/4 but I didn’t properly think/plan it out beyond that I wanted the stripes to line up. Ended up making the top of the shoulder kinda square and odd, but lesson learned. I have waist shaping only on the backside (at the 1/3,1/3,1/3 sections) and did vertical bust shaping in the front. Its placed slightly wrong though, again, I was thinking more about stripe placement and the neckline so I didn’t note that I needed to start the bust increases sooner. I also forgot to do jogless stripes on the sleeves which were worked in the round, again, who cares because at least its finally finished!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s